[Advaita-l] cloning and inevitable mrutyu

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 05:55:39 EDT 2018

In the Pancharatra adhikaranam Shankara's  objection is on their proposing
a jivotpatti.  This objection is made by Bhaskara too.

A reply on the topic from an old comment of mine elsewhere:

on
dvaita vs advaita: vadiraja attacks advaita part 2

a comment on the above:

illustration 1. in a dream i find myself in a busy mall. there are a number
of people doing business. i meet a friend there and we chat for a brief
while. i notice a flower vase made of ebony and ask the price. (end of the
dream).

in the dream, all the dream persons, objects, talks, etc. are made of one
material: the dream material which is consciousness. certainly no artisan
of the waking world put an ebony vase there in the dream. the people are
not of the flesh and blood of the waking. the entire mall is of no weight,
for it was in my mind alone. if it was really made of brick, mortar and
steel of the waking, i, the dreamer lying on my bed, would have been
crushed by its weight.

the illustration brings to the foreground the fact that despite the entire
variety of dream objects/people being made up of the same material:
consciousness, yet it is perfectly possible to have the ‘i’- feeling with
respect to one body, ‘he/she’- feeling with respect to the other bodies and
‘it’- feeling with regard to the inert objects.

illustration 2. supposing there is an expert in making wax models. he has
in his stock a variety of models of vegetables, fruits, etc. it is evening
time and suddenly there is a power failure. he finds his candle and lights
it and there is light sufficient for his activity.

now, even though the models and the candle are of the same material: wax,
yet in order to give light it is the candle that is needed and not any of
the fruit/vegetable models. why is this so? it is because it is only the
candle that has a specific cylindrical/conical shape and a wick running
thru it. this unique feature is absent in the other wax objects he has.

similarly, despite the fact that the body and the pot are of the same
material in a superimposition, yet, it is the body alone that qualifies to
be the object of the feeling: ‘i am fair-skinned’. the ‘i’ can arise only
in the body/mind as even though these are made of the five elements, they
alone have the unique capacity of reflecting the consciousness of the
atman/self. this feature is absent in the pot even though it is also made
of the elements. this is the reason for the jiva getting the feeling of ‘i’
in the body/mind complex alone and not in the pot. the body/mind
identification is expressed as: ‘i am the perceiver of the pot’. there is
no feeling ‘i am the pot’ because the pot cannot capture the reflection of
the consciousness just as the body/mind does.

the reason for this dichotomy is the presence of ignorance in the jiva. it
is because of ignorance the jiva identifies with just the body/mind and
sees every other person/object as different from himself. this is the cause
of bondage, samsara. the ‘i’ becomes the experiencer of joy/sorrow and the
‘this’, the objective world, becomes the experienced. the objective world,
when interacted with by the jiva, generates joy or sorrow. this is what
samsara is.

the upanishads teach that this distinction should go and the means for this
is obtaining the knowledge that ‘i am all, everything, there is none other
than me.’ ‘aham brahma asmi’ (i am brahman, the all
quite unwittingly sri vadiraja has pointed out, as a defect, what is
actually the ideal situation that the upanishad/advaita teach as the mark
of freedom from bondage. the taittiriya upanishad iii chapter contains the
expression of joy by the truth-knowing person: ‘aham annam, aham
annam……aham annaado….etc. (iam the food and the eater of the food.) the
universal vision that the aspirant gains affords no room for any difference
whatsoever and that is the realization that destroys all distinction. this
makes the earlier mistaken notion of difference between ‘i’ and the ‘pot’
an erroneous one, now replaced by ‘i am the all’ . the ‘inert’ food (pot)
is also experienced to be consciousness in truth.

thus it can be seen that there is no illogicality in (1) not getting the
feeling of ‘i’ in the pot and getting it only with respect to the body/mind
(in a superimposition) and (2) ultimately, when the superimposition is
gone, getting the feeling of ‘i’ in everything, sentient and insentient.

On Tue, 24 Apr 2018, 14:05 Raghav Kumar Dwivedula via Advaita-l, <