[Advaita-l] vedAntins at the time of shankara

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 20 12:49:20 EDT 2017

Namaste
In this document you can see how Bhartrprapanca's theory is different from
Advaita of  Adi Sankara -

http://www.redalyc.org/pdf/1053/105345260004.pdf

>From all this accounts it is possible to establish a pretty accurate
picture of

Bhartṛprapañca’s main philosophical views that are different from Śankara’s
illusionistic

monism. For him, the essence of Brahman is in the same time dual and
non-dual. In one

aspect Brahman is non-differentiated while in other it is differentiated.
Both aspects are

real in opposition to Śaṅkara’s Advaita where differentiated aspect is
unreal. According

to Śaṅkara, Bhartṛprapañca explains that unity and plurality of *ātman *is
the same as with

“the cow” which possesses unity as substance (cowness as universality) on
one side and

individual properties on the other side that differentiate a particular cow6.
Brahman

evolves into phenomenal world through eight gradual states that will be
described in this

paper. Liberation is achieved through combined path of knowledge and action
(*jñānakarmasamuccaya*) that encompasses combination of religious rites and

knowledge.7 As Śaṅkara holds that action cannot produce knowledge, Śaṅkara
criticizes

such a view throughout his works and teaches that liberation is to be
achieved through

knowledge alone, and not through religious rites.

On Tue, Sep 19, 2017 at 6:54 PM, Praveen R. Bhat via Advaita-l <

> On Tue, Sep 19, 2017 at 5:59 PM, Aditya Kumar <kumaraditya22 at yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
> > I don't understand why reply to every syllable.
> > ​
> > And thereby instead of addressing the point, you digress a lot.
> >
> You have got it topsy turvy, since addressing the point is addressing each
> line. No other content was there to respond to. By avoiding replying inline
> again, you have digressed from everything pointed out or asked.
>
> Throughout the email, you have only made personal comments on me and when
> > the point of discussion comes up you dodge it with some counter
> allegation.
> > This is consistent in all your responses.
> >

> ​Talk about the pot calling the kettle black!​ Responding to personal
> comments can only be with personal comments.
>

> > Anyways, I have learnt not to expect anything worthwhile from any kind of
> > discussion on this forum.
> >
> ​​Yea, that seems quite alright: blame the whole forum! In any case, to
> learn one should ask questions, not make sweeping statements.​
>

> > Goodbye.
> >
> I had made a generic address not being interested to discuss with those
> with whom discussion is not possible, until you made a personal attack to
> draw my attention. ​Sure, goodbye.

Regards

-Venkatesh