[Advaita-l] The Glory of Sannyasa

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Tue Oct 24 06:57:08 EDT 2017

Namaste

I think the proposition by Sri Sujal ji is not inadmissible in the Vedānta.
We have mantradraṣṭā-s, those who have had the vision of the mantra, or
those who have got the sākṣātkāra of the mantras and are therefore known as
Rishis. In fact there is an etymological expression: Rishirdarshane: One is
called a Rishi because he is adept in darshana or has had the darshana.  In
the BGB 10.26 Shankara comments:

 ऋषित्वं प्राप्ताः मन्त्रदर्शित्वात्ते     Those who are deva-s and because
of having the mantra darshana, they are called Devarshi-s. This is stated
in the context of Nārada being specified as a Vibhūti of Brahman.  So,
there can be non-deva rshis too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yajurveda

//The best known and best preserved of these recensions is the *Taittirīya
saṃhitā*. Some attribute it to Tittiri, a pupil of Yaksa
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yaksha> and mentioned by Panini
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P%C4%81%E1%B9%87ini>.[26]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yajurveda#cite_note-dowson-26> The text is
associated with the *Taittiriya* school of the Yajurveda, and attributed to
the pupils of sage Tittiri (literally, partridge
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partridge> birds).[27]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yajurveda#cite_note-aweber-27>//

At the end of the Shvetashvatatopanishad appears his name as '....one who
narrated/taught to very advanced sages./sannyasins. In the commentary
stated to be that of Shankaracharya, it is said:
This rishi who had obtained the vidya from his guru, told this to these
sannyasins.  So, from this account it can be said that the name
Shvetashavatara does not refer to the mantra-draṣṭā but to someone who
authoritatively taught the vidya he had received to others.

regards
subbu

On Tue, Oct 24, 2017 at 3:10 PM, Bhaskar YR via Advaita-l <