[Advaita-l] Chanting Gayatri overseas

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 6 03:37:48 EDT 2017

Namaste

On Fri, Oct 6, 2017 at 12:20 PM, Sujal Upadhyay via Advaita-l <

> continued from earlier email.

 There should be two different discussions. One is if a Brahmin goes abroad
and returns back to India what he must do? Second if Brahmin goes abroad
and does not come back but keeps on staying there what happens? First
question is easier than second. The foreign returned Brahmin can do
Prayaschitta and become acceptable in Brahmin circles. But if he keeps on
going abroad and coming back many times and doing Prayaschitta each time
what is the value of Prayaschitta? He must think about it.

Second question is difficult to answer because our Mathadhipatis have
opened branches abroad. They are allowing Priests to go there. They may
have a plan. Send some priests and after some time they will come back to
India. Then send other priests. After some time they will also come back.
The plan is no priest will stay permanently abroad. They come back and do
Prayaschitta and become pure again. The Matha branch will develop more and
at the same time no Brahmin will become impure permanently. The problem
comes if a Brahmin has become permanently settled in foreign land. I think
even Sringeri Swamijis will agree no Brahmin should permanently live
abroad. He must come back. Because this Bharata Bhoomi is Karma Bhoomi and
Punya Bhoomi. People may criticize India and say it is Third World and full
of corruption. But you cannot Judge a country with thousands of years
history with some hundred years view. Why they are looking at last 700 or
800 years history of Moghals and British? What about thousands of years of
Sanatana history before that? So many Rishis and Adi Sankara lived before
and they made this Land pure.

Regards

-Venkatesh