[Advaita-l] Fwd: Question/Clarification on Chanting Vaidika mantras

Raghav Kumar Dwivedula raghavkumar00 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 14 19:52:57 EST 2017

Namaste Rama ji
You wrote -

"PS: Perhaps you are getting confused by the sUtra uccairudAttaH and
confusing svarita with this."

I have observed even a few teachers of pANinI not being clear about this.

Just to make sure I understand you correctly.
In gAyatrI mantra samhitA pAtha ,
de_ vas ya!
anudAtta udAtta svaritaH

Is this Correct?

I have observed some teachers while explaining the sutra interpret udAttaH
as the higher note and svaritaH as the middle note. (samAhAraH svaritaH) .

 nIcairanudAttaH has no ambiguity.
So they would say .the gAyatri word -
de_vasya! is anudAtta-svarita-udAtta which is incorrect?

Is there any commentary or vRtti or prAtishAkhya rule which clears this
popular confusion regarding nomenclature? (I generally use the idea of the
word 'dIrghasvaritaH' to fix svaritaH to be higher pitch, in my mind).

Request you to clarify this basic doubt and any mistakes in the above.
Especially how samAhara is interpreted using the sutra  tasyAdita
ardhahrasva.

Om

Raghav

On 15-Nov-2017 1:06 AM, "Balasubramanian Ramakrishnan via Advaita-l" <