[Advaita-l] Dayanand Saraswathi interview - Very interesting stand taken by Swami

S Jayanarayanan sjayana at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 26 13:08:45 CST 2017

Kripa Shankar kripa.shankar.0294 at gmail.com wrote:

> Namaste,
>
> Link to the interview : http://thoughtlessbliss.blogspot.in/2011/10/swami-dayananda-saraswatis-view-on.html?m=1
‎>

I don't believe the initial paragraph is right when it says, "...he does not even accept that Ramana Maharshi was a great liberated soul".

Rather, my take on it is: "In Swami Dayananda Saraswati's (SD's) opinion, Ramana Maharshi was a Realized *Mystic*, not a *Vedantin*!"

The Swami distinguishes between the two:
Mystic ("non-traditional"): Is Self-realized, but does not necessarily communicate the experience in words.
Vedantin ("traditional"): May or may not be Self-realized, but has studied the scriptures, and communicates using words.

"SD: The only difference here is that a mystic has no means of communication to make you a mystic, an equally great mystic as himself...But we can only say someone is a Vedantin as long as they teach Vedanta!"

In some sense, I don't agree with SD on the above point. My opinion is that a "Mystic" in the words of SD can make another also Self-realized merely due to one's presence, not necessarily with words!
Many times, Ramana Maharshi has said that the very presence of a Sage can dissolve one's ignorance!

> Regards
> Kripa ‎
‎>