[Advaita-l] Ramana Maharshi - Advaitin or Neo Advaitin?

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Sun Sep 25 07:36:57 CDT 2016

On Sun, Sep 25, 2016 at 5:17 PM, Kripa Shankar via Advaita-l <

> Namaste
>
> Some great points of grave import presented by SrimaLalitalalitah.
> Praveen, like many others are trying to defend Ramana as if it's an assault
> on Ramana s character, which clearly is not(it's also irrelevant) . But I
> am baffled to see that when Shruti pramana is neglected, in other words
> when the Shruti is under assault, no one takes offence!
>> Just wanted to add one more point. I was watching a video of Bharati
> teertha swami delivering a lecture in Tamil. There he categorically stated
> that Sringeri Mutt never acknowledges anyone outside of the Mutt but a
> pramada (an exception) to this rule was when one of the great swamis (can't
> recall the name sorry) acknowledged Sadashiva Brahmendra. It is on YouTube.

Here is a quote from the book 'Crest Jewel of Yogis' Vol.I penned by Sri
R.M.Umesh, a disciple has said while narrating a couple of incidents from
the lives of Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa and Ramana Maharshi:

//We can even consider the cases of Sri Ramakrishna and Sri Ramana *whom
Acharyal (Jagadguru Sri Abhinava Vidyatirtha Mahaswaminah) acknowledges as
Jnanins.* That will help to throw light on the behavior of comparatively
recent personages.// p.646

(The above book was published by Sri Sharada Trust, Sringeri)

and goes on to cite an incident or two from the famous book 'Sri
Ramakrishna the Great Master' of Swamy Saradananda. And another or two from
the book 'Ramana Maharishi and the path of Self Knowledge'  by Osborne.
Another incident from the book of K.S.Swaminathan on 'Ramana Maharshi' is
also cited in the above book.

This the author does after citing incidents from Shankara (Madhaviya
Shankara Vijaya), Rama in the Ramayana and Krishna in the Mahabharata.
This is a chapter titled ' The Human Aspect' where Acharyal's expressions
of several human traits have been mentioned.

Thus there is solid evidence to the Acharya of Sringeri Maṭha acknowledging
personages 'outside' the maṭha.  I had already pointed out the case of one
Para Brahma (from Punjab/Kashmir) whom also the Acharya had acknowledged as
a Jnani and even directed one of his own devotees to associate with him.
Sri Umesh has written about this Para Brahma too in his book. So, there is
no way one can assert that the Sringeri Acharyas do not acknowledge those
'outside' the 'maṭha.'

regards
subrahmanian.v