[Advaita-l] Paul Hacker's erroneous view

D Gayatri dgayatrinov10 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 3 08:47:47 CDT 2016

Explanation given by Govind Chandra Pande -

"Padmapada's verse uses double entendre brilliantly.......I bow to the
new Shankara (Shiva) who does not have the rich entourage of snakes
(or worldlings),  who does not smear ashes (but who has extinguished
the cycle of rebirth), whose other half is not Uma (but logical
inference), who is not fierce, who has eradicated the stigma of time,
and who is without Ganesha (or who has set aside the Buddhists)"

So it is clear that Shankara did not smear ashes! (no mischief here,
the words are from the book, which you can verify). Nor was he
considered the same as Shiva, since he is without Uma, ashes, Ganesha.