[Advaita-l] Paul Hacker's erroneous view

D Gayatri dgayatrinov10 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 3 08:37:54 CDT 2016

Look at how beautifully the Narayanastra blog explains the meaning of
Padmapada's verse -

http://narayanastra.blogspot.in/p/blog-page_3.html

namAmyabhogiparivArasampadaM nirastabhUtiM anumArddhavigrahaM
anugraM unmR^iditakAlalA~ncanaM vinAvinAyakaM apUrvashaN^karaM

The above sanskrit verse is a double entendre. Each word/sentence can
be interpreted in two ways:

apUrva shaMkaraM namAmi = I salute the new Shankara who is different
from the commonly known Shankara (Shiva)
abhogiparivAra sampadaM = He is surrounded by sages (abogi-s or those
who do not indulge in “bhoga” or enjoyments) / he is not surrounded by
snakes (bhogi-s)
nirasta bhUtiM = He has got no material wealth (bhUti) (as he is a
sannyasi) / he is devoid of ashes (bhUti)
anumArdha vigrahaM = He has logic (anumA) as his other half / he does
not have Uma as his other half
anugraM = He is not fierce
unmR^idita kAla lA~ncanaM = He has surpassed the mark of time (ie.,
samsara, as he is a jIvanmukta)/ he is devoid of the black-mark (on
the throat)
vinA vinAyakaM = He is not accompanied by vinAyaka