[Advaita-l] Definition of 'Sūtra, Bhāṣya, Vārtikam, Prakaraṇam...etc.'

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Tue Nov 1 01:49:29 CDT 2016

On Fri, 28 Oct 2016, Sundaram Venkatraman via Advaita-l wrote:

> A question arises from the definition of Prakarana. If prakaranas deal
> with only some aspects of the subject of Advaita, I am wondering how
> appropriate it is to call Panchadashi and Vivekachudsmani Prakarana
> Granthas. They seem to be dealing with the entire subject matter!
> Regards,

I think of it this way.  It's not so much about how comprehensive it is
but the focus.  A prakarana is aimed inwards at people who already accept
the principles of Advaita Vedanta but just have questions about one aspect
or another.  Whereas bhashyas present the subject matter to a possibly
uninformed or even hostile audience with polemics and apologetics along
with exposition.