[Advaita-l] Why only jagat is mithya and jeeva is brahman !!??

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Tue Mar 15 02:09:06 CDT 2016

praNAms Sri Venkatraghavan prabhuji

Hare Krishna

The knowledge that Brahman is the only satyam has been given in many places in the Veda (सत्यं ज्ञानं अनन्तं, सर्वं खल्विदं ब्रह्म, सदेव सोम्य इदमग्रासीत् एकमेवाद्वितीयं), and the natural follow-up question to this statement is - If Brahman is the only reality, how to explain this multiplicity that is manifest in front of me?

Ø   I think this has been clarified by vAchArambhaNa shruti of chAndOgya and corresponding shankara’s bhAshya.  The shruti which says brahma is the only adviteeya satya also clarifying that brahman is the abhinna nimittOpadAna kAraNa of this jagat, and from this satya both satya and anrutaM have been originated.  (satyanchAnrutancha satyamabhavat, yadidaM kiMcha, sarvaM khalvidaM brahma etc.) the multiplicity will be sublated (not annihilated) with the samyak jnana i.e. seeing the kAraNa svarUpa in kArya prapancha and knowing kArya does not have an independent existence apart from its kAraNa svarUpa. Mrudviveka darshinaam ghatAdi shabda buddhiH clarifies shankara in chAndOgya.

Shruti explicitly denies this and says that whatever multiplicity is there is not real (मृत्यो: स मृत्युमाप्नोति य इह नानेव पश्यति, एकधैवनुद्रश्टव्यं, नेह नानास्ति किंचन). So if Brahman is the only truth, and there is no multiplicity, it follows that whatever is seen is only mithyA nAma rUpa (वाचारम्भणं विकारो नामधेयं).

Ø   As I said earlier, nAma rUpa is kevala vAchAraMbhana and anrutaM eva when it is identified independently, but same nAma rUpa in their kAraNa rUpa satyam eva na anrutaM.  sarvaM cha nAmarUpAdi sadAtmanaiva satyaM vikArajAtaM svatastu anrutameva clarifies shankara in chAndOgya.
Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar