[Advaita-l] Topic for Discussion: What is Nirvikalpaka Samaadhi?

akhanda akhanda at vsnl.com
Sat Mar 5 21:16:36 CST 2016

Sadaji,

PraNAms.

 > What exactly means nirvikalpaka samaadhi - Is that required for
self-realization.  Some say - Vedanta study is not sufficient, One has
to experience it. What does that mean?

Here is the sentence from the Vivekachudamani that clearly says that
nirvikalpaka samaadhi is a discrete step before self-realization.

Sloka 362. When the mind, thus purified by constant practice, is merged
in Brahman, then Samaadhi passes on from the Savikalpa to the Nirvikalpa
stage, and leads directly to the realization of the Bliss of Brahman,
the One without a second.

Hence Nirvikalpa samaadhi leads directly for self-realization, and
self-realization itself is therefore a step different from samaadhi. It
must therefore occur at a specific point in time in an individual's life
(as stated elsewhere, via the akhandaakaara vrtti generated through the
mahaavaakya) and is therefore an experience and not simply understanding
the Vedantic texts.

As to whether nirvikalpaka samaadhi is a compulsorily required step,
that is not clear.

Hari Om,
Anil (Gidwani)