[Advaita-l] Topic for Discussion: What is Nirvikalpaka Samaadhi?

H S Chandramouli hschandramouli at gmail.com
Sat Mar 5 02:18:38 CST 2016

Sri Sadananda Ji wrote

 << Nirvikalpaka samaadhi has been discussed extensively even by
Vidyaranya. Vikalapa is thought - hence nirvikalapa samaadhi is same thing
stated above - a thought less state of mind - that is one explanation
coming from Pataangali yoga - or is it something different as per advaita.
That is the question. >>.

In advaita nirvikalapa samaadhi  is Chaitanyam/Atman/Brahman  itself.  “
Nirvikalapa”  is “ absence of differences such as vastu,attributes etc.” .
It It is not “thoughtlessness”. The advaitic concept is different from the
Patanjali Yogic concept. Reference could be made to Bhashya on Mandukya
karika 3-33

<< अकल्पकं सर्वकल्पनावर्जितम्, अत एव अजं ज्ञानं ज्ञप्तिमात्रं ज्ञेयेन
परमार्थसता ब्रह्मणा अभिन्नं प्रचक्षते कथयन्ति ब्रह्मविदः ।

( Translation Swami Gambhirananda ) <<The knowers of Brahman प्रचक्षते
 (prachakShate), say ; that absolute ज्ञानं (j~nAnaM) , Knowledge ; that is
अकल्पकं (akalpakaM ) , devoid of all imagination ( non conceptual ) ; and
is therefore अजं (ajaM), birthless ; is  ज्ञेयाभिन्नं (j~neyAbhinnaM),
nondifferent from the knowable, identified with Brahman, the absolute
Reality.>>

 Regards

On Fri, Mar 4, 2016 at 9:16 AM, kuntimaddi sadananda via Advaita-l <