[Advaita-l] About Satyakama

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 12:26:14 CDT 2016

The story from the Mahabharata cannot be taken at face value.  It is to be
seen as arthavāda to enjoin loyalty between husband and wife.

Moreover, It contradicts many shruti passages such as  ‘यथा मातृमान्पितृमान्’
(बृ. उ. ४-१-२)
<http://advaitasharada.sringeri.net/php/format.php?bhashya=Brha&page=04&hval=%E2%80%98%E0%A4%AF%E0%A4%A5%E0%A4%BE%20%E0%A4%AE%E0%A4%BE%E0%A4%A4%E0%A5%83%E0%A4%AE%E0%A4%BE%E0%A4%A8%E0%A5%8D%E0%A4%AA%E0%A4%BF%E0%A4%A4%E0%A5%83%E0%A4%AE%E0%A4%BE%E0%A4%A8%E0%A5%8D%E2%80%99%20(%E0%A4%AC%E0%A5%83.%20%E0%A4%89.%20%E0%A5%AA-%E0%A5%A7-%E0%A5%A8)#BR_C04_S01_V02>
which occurs over half a dozen times in the Brihadaranyaka itself.
Shankara says: the one who is tended, groomed, by the mother, father and
the Acharya is eligible.....The other famous 'mātr devo bhava....'  also
teaches that there is a family system with a regular mother, father, etc.
that give the apt samskaras to the offspring.  This  is a vedic dictum.
There is no way one can say that the Jabala episode falls within the
'system' that the Mahabharata is alluding to.  We have famous Rishi-couples
such as Vasishṭha-Arundhati, Agastya-Lopāmudra, etc. which have been shown
as ideals. If it was a norm that women changed husbands such cases as the
above will have no place in the scripture.
The BG itself in the first chapter talks about what evil effects will come
about when women become fallen.
Here is an article on the topic:
https://adbhutam.wordpress.com/2012/09/02/satyakaama-jaabaala/

regards