[Advaita-l] Did Vyaasa mean Athaato Vishnu Jijnaasaa or Shiva Jijnaasaa?

Srinath Vedagarbha svedagarbha at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 08:28:13 CDT 2016

On Mon, Jul 25, 2016 at 5:09 AM, V Subrahmanian via Advaita-l <

> Whatever attributes that can be posited on Brahman as 'ananta kalyāna guna
> gaṇa nidhi/ or guṇa pūrṇa is ONLY with relation to the world or jivas.
> Without being related to the world/jivas, Brahman can never be said to have
> any guṇa whatsoever.  In other words, Brahman has to depend on prakṛti to
> have even a single guṇa.

It only shows you have confused between terms 'having' and 'manifestation'.
Your argument is akin to saying soorya's having illumination power is
depend on object on which it illuminates.  Irrespective of objects,
soorya's power exist. It is only known (to us the perceiver) in relation to
objects on which it illuminates.

So also, Parabrahman's guNa-s do exist irrespective of jIva/jagat. It is
only when we need to know about its manifestation we need jIva-jagat.

>From another angle when you look at it, when the very existence of
jIva-jagat itself is depends on His iccha, how do you apply your illogic on
such guNa (of having eternal sankalpa of not destroying jIva-jagat)?

> In BSB 'tadadhīnatvādarthavat' Shankara says: we have to admit that latent
> power (like the pradhāna of the sānkhyas), for without that power, the
> Vedāntic Brahman can not even be the creator.
>
> So, the fundamental requirement of being a creator needs prakṛti, what to
> say of all other guṇas!

Same here, being creator is different thing and having creating guNa is all
together a different thing.

/sv