[Advaita-l] nAsadIya sUktam

Venkateswaran N E venkatne2011 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 21:16:56 CST 2016

नमस्ते

I have couple of questions on nAsadIya sUktam of R^ig veda, and request the list members to clarify.

1. The sUkta begins with नास॑दासी॒न्नो सदा॑सीत्त॒दानी॒म् for which the anvaya is "तदानीं न असत् आसीत् नो सत् आसीत्"
How do we reconcile नो सत् आसीत् with the famous advaitic dictum that Brahman is "त्रिकाल आभादित सत्" .

2. Again the sUkta ends with - यो अ॒स्याध्य॑क्षः पर॒मे व्यो॑म॒न्त्सो अ॒ङ्ग वे॑द॒ यदि॑ वा॒ न वेद॑॥ - "How did this universe come to be? Perhaps the Lord of this universe, who lives in the highest heaven, surely knows. Or perhaps he too does not!"

Here whom does अ॒स्याध्य॑क्षः indicate ?
Is it hiranyagarbha / Ishvara or brahman itself?
If it is brahman, it would mean that brahman does not know how this universe came by? Is this an acceptable position on advaita?

At the same time we consider Ishvara as omniscient. So how could Ishvara not know how the creation happened.

Thanks in advance,
Venkateswaran N E