[Advaita-l] Nyaya Sudha Objections 1

Venkatraghavan S agnimile at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 16:57:34 CST 2016

The dvaita objection was that as a rule the lakshyArtha of a word cannot be
known if its vAcyArtha is not known. The vAcyArtha of Brahman is
unknowable, hence it's lakshyArtha is unknowable - therefore samanvaya is
not possible. That was the purvapaksha argument.

The answer given was that in the case of bhAga tyAga lakshaNa, that rule
does not hold good. In "soyam devadatta", the directly perceived
devadatta's attributes (mukhyArtha) are eliminated to reveal his underlying
devadattatvam, which is the common substratum of sa: and ayam. It cannot be
said that the lakshyArtha of devadattatvam is unknowable because the
mukhyArtha of devadattatvam is unknowable.

Similarly NirguNa Brahman is known by lakshyArtha, by eliminating all
attributes from any thing (be it a blade of grass or Ishvara) until all
that is left is sat, chit and ananda. In avAntara vAkyAs nirguNa brahman's
lakshyArtha is known indirectly (paroksha). It is only when mahAvAkyas are
properly understood, that lakshyArtha is directly understood (aparoksha) as
oneself.

As lakshyArtha of nirguNa brahman is knowable, samanvaya is possible.

Regards,
Venkatraghavan