[Advaita-l] Is study of Vedanta necessary?

Rajesh Benjwal rbenjwal at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 03:25:16 CST 2016

Namaste Sadaji,

My two cents

​​
1. Is Vedanta necessary

To this we need to evaluate the relationship between brhamjnAnam and
Upanishad. We accept that there is pratipAdhya and partipAdaka sambandha.
Is there any other means of knowledge which reveals Braham? If there is any
other way to know then we cannot say that upnishadas are prtipadaka and
Braham is prtipadhyam. Then it is like upanishadas talking about "ghritam."
Upnishada does talk about "gritam" like "ghritam vai ayuH" but  pratipadhya
and partipadaka sambandha is not there otherwise we would not be able to
know ghee by any other means of knowledge. Ghee can be known by pratyaksha
pramANam also so we do not say that there is pratipAdhya and
partipAdaka sambandha between Ghee and Upanishad.

So if we accept that there is  pratipadhya and partipadaka sambandh then
we accept VedAnta as pramANam. If we accept VedAnta as pramANam then asking
either it is necessary or not for Brahamjnanam is asking like
either eyes are necessary to see or not.

2. Is Vedanta necessary and sufficient

Any pramAnam is sufficient for the visheya it is pramANam for. Like eyes
are enough to see the colors, they do not need any support from
other indriyam. Same Vedanta is sufficient for BrahmjnAnam.

We accept vedAnta as apourusheyam as any pramANa needs to be free from
any defect then only it leads to prama.

3. Is Vedanta necessary but not sufficient - if so what-else is needed?

It is vastu tantra if pramAta, premeya and defect free pramAnam is there
prama will take place.  If this will take place then

KAlAntrAbhavAt - there is no time difference the very time you attain the
jnAnam at the very time you get the moksham. You do not have to wait for
body to fall.

DeshAntrAbhavAt - You get the moksham right here right now, you do not have
to move to another lokAs.

SadhanAntrAbhavAt - You do not need any supportive sadhana to get the
result.

As Bhagvana Sanakra also refutes any combination of karma with it, He
refute jnAna karma samuchhayavAda again in his bhAsyam. So not only, as
pramAna, vedAnta is necessary but it is sufficient also, my two cents.

On Mon, Feb 1, 2016 at 9:17 PM, kuntimaddi sadananda via Advaita-l <