[Advaita-l] Gayatri japa

Praveen R. Bhat bhatpraveen at gmail.com
Tue Dec 27 19:38:42 CST 2016

Namaste Durgaprasadji,

Pls ask your friend to nonetheless go ahead and do the japa as suggested by
Subbuji and upanayana. Some good is better than none! svalpamapyasya
dharmasya trAyate mahato bhayAt. Let's not go on assumptions as to whether
the vaTu will do sandhyA or not, since in the same family, people are
tangentially different when it comes to religious matters, or for that
matter anything else. Another option is to ask him to approach his
kulaguru/ maThAdipati for advice.

Elsewhere, it is said that a kula that has not done gAyatri japa for three
generations loses to be a brAhmaNakula [perhaps, for ever]. With that in
mind, all must be encouraged to do what they should be doing. Please note
that gAyatri mantra has the word "naH" which is a plural and even when done
by the vaTu would ask for the right buddhi not only for himself, but for
the entire family.

Prior to japa, its preferable that your friend change his yajnopavita and
does the saMkalpa.

gurupAdukAbhyAm,

--praveen

On 26 Dec 2016 8:51 am, "Durga Prasad Janaswamy via Advaita-l" <