[Advaita-l] Raju Surname

Mallika Gollapudi mallika.gollapudi at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 18:00:51 CST 2016

Namaste,

I am an Andhra Niyogi Brahmin and hence though i should reply to this to
give more clarity.
yes, Andhra Shakara Advaiti Brahmin are broadly divided into Niyogis and
Vaidikis.

Niyogis like all other Brahmins have same gotras and like Bharadwaja ,
Srivatsasa, Ateyasa..
and so follows their Pravara too.

A few 100 years back there wasnt this division. later Niyogi Brahmins
decided that they should only follow 3 of the six "Brahmanardhas".

The six brahmanardhas being

   - Adhyaapanam (*Vedic Teaching*)
   - Adhyayanam (*Vedic Learning*)
   - Yajanam (performing yajgnyas eg *Wedding*)
   - Daanam (*Donations*)

   - Pratigraham  (*Accepting*)
   - yaajanam( helping one perform yajna)

So Niyogi Brahmins only stuck to Adhyayanam, Daanam, and yajanam and
settled as village heads as known as Shanbhogs in Kannada. They do not
teach vedas , or help perform Yajnas or pujas or accept any Shradda food.
Most of them are Krishna yajurvedi's and tere are few Sukla Yajurvedi's too.

In modern days however the above said differences diluted to a great extent
but there was always animosity between the two groups.

Having accepted meatier roles in the administration, Niyogis were
economically better off than their counterparts which added to complexities
but later when NTR government annexed all niyogi lands even this difference
vanished.

Though my surname does not have raju in it. My paternal grandmother's
maiden surname is kommaraju.
and she was one chaste brahmin following Madi and all like any other
brahmin family I know of.

PV narasimharao, Krishnadeveraya's  prime minister Timmarasu are
other Niyogi Brahmins apart from the names mentioned earlier. Even the well
known Andhra Pravachanakarta Chaganti Koteswara Rao garu belongs to this
community.

plese let me know if anybody finds it wrong

Dhanyavadam,
Mallika

On Monday 19 December 2016, D.V.N.Sarma డి.వి.ఎన్.శర్మ via Advaita-l <