[Advaita-l] [advaitin] Why only jagat is mithya and jeeva is brahman !!??

Srinath Vedagarbha svedagarbha at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 14:28:45 CDT 2016

On Thu, Apr 21, 2016 at 1:10 AM, V Subrahmanian via Advaita-l <

> On Thu, Apr 21, 2016 at 9:32 AM, Venkatesh Murthy (वेङ्कटेशः
> सीतारामार्यपुत्रः) <advaita-l at lists.advaita-vedanta.org> wrote:
>
> >  Namaste
> >
> > On Thu, Apr 21, 2016 at 12:48 AM, Srinath Vedagarbha via Advaita-l
> > <advaita-l at lists.advaita-vedanta.org> wrote:
> >
> > > In the spirit of jumping from one reference to the other, I agree with
> > you
> > > in calling adhyaasa "jagat" as mithya. In the same we should also call
> > > "Jiva" as mithya as the notion of jIvahood is equally adhyAsa over the
> > same
> > > adhishTAnaM. Then statement would be -- brahma satya jagan mithyA jeeva
> > > mithyA ubhyOr brahmaiva na aparaH.
> > >
> > > Why not the same treatment to jIva is given?
> >

> The jiva is the one who does the enquiry. He cannot negate himself.  What
> he can, however, negate is the jivatva, just like Kana negated his
> Rādheyatva when he realized his Kaunteyatva. ,  At the end of the enquiry
> thei jiva realizes that he is none other than Brahman.the sarvadṛk/  Jagat
> is dṛṣya and therefore mithyā, like the mirage water, that even while being
> seen, is realized to be mithya.

The very act of realization is a karma and very much the attribute of
jIvahood. So, at the end of enquiry the jIva realizes he is *NOT* Brahman,
otherwise such realization itself is introducing karthu-karama virOdha in
Brahman. So, to avoid this swagatha bhEda, the jIva has to realize it is
not Brahman. Hence, part of this realization jIva has to realize itself is
mithya.

/sv