[Advaita-l] [advaitin] Why only jagat is mithya and jeeva is brahman !!??

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 00:10:13 CDT 2016

On Thu, Apr 21, 2016 at 9:32 AM, Venkatesh Murthy (वेङ्कटेशः
सीतारामार्यपुत्रः) <advaita-l at lists.advaita-vedanta.org> wrote:

>  Namaste
>
> On Thu, Apr 21, 2016 at 12:48 AM, Srinath Vedagarbha via Advaita-l
> <advaita-l at lists.advaita-vedanta.org> wrote:
>
> > In the spirit of jumping from one reference to the other, I agree with
> you
> > in calling adhyaasa "jagat" as mithya. In the same we should also call
> > "Jiva" as mithya as the notion of jIvahood is equally adhyAsa over the
> same
> > adhishTAnaM. Then statement would be -- brahma satya jagan mithyA jeeva
> > mithyA ubhyOr brahmaiva na aparaH.
> >
> > Why not the same treatment to jIva is given?

The jiva is the one who does the enquiry. He cannot negate himself.  What
he can, however, negate is the jivatva, just like Kana negated his
Rādheyatva when he realized his Kaunteyatva. ,  At the end of the enquiry
thei jiva realizes that he is none other than Brahman.the sarvadṛk/  Jagat
is dṛṣya and therefore mithyā, like the mirage water, that even while being
seen, is realized to be mithya.

While refuting the sarvaśūnyavādin Shankara says: You can negate everything
other than yourself but not yourself  the negator-consciousness.

vs