[Advaita-l] Difficulty with Akhandakara Vrtti

Ravi Kiran ravikiranm108 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 13:24:53 CDT 2015

Namaste

On Thu, Jun 18, 2015 at 10:48 PM, श्रीमल्ललितालालितः <
lalitaalaalitah at lalitaalaalitah.com> wrote:

> *श्रीमल्ललितालालितः*www.lalitaalaalitah.com
>
> On Thu, Jun 18, 2015 at 10:00 PM, Ravi Kiran <ravikiranm108 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Namaste
>>
>> Did not understand the following expression :
>>
>> > aparoxa of ghaTA
>>
>> isn't ghaTA pratyakSa jnAna ?
>>
>> do  you want to say that ghaTa-GYAna is only paroxa ?
>> ​then many here will be able to answer you..
> if not, then tell clearly what you meant by this so that i could reply.

Understanding is that ..

1. ghaTa-jnAna gives the knowledge of the vastu ( ghaTa) , but not the
knowledge of vastu's svarUpa, whereas, jnAna of pratyagAtma is svarUpa
jnAna (abhEda),   ...
2. the knower of the vastu remains different from the vastu (ghaTa)..each
has its identity..so, did not follow the derivation that ghaTa jnana is
akhanda..

​

>> and jnAna of pratyagAtma is nitya aparokSa
>>

> ​it appears that you​
>
> ​think that brahmaGYAna is aparoxa while none other GYAna is aparoxa just
> because of duality.

That's not correct.
> Consider that pratyaxa and aparoxa, mean same. It means that the object
> doesn't have any type of aGYAna, either asattvApAdaka-AvaraNa or
> abhAnApAdaka-AvaraNa on it. For ghaTa, etc. it is such GYAna is generated
> by indriya, as eyes which are in contact with ghaTa.

Ok, by this definition, if we say ghaTa jnAna is aparoxa, it is not nitya
aparoxa ( unlike jnAna of pratyagAtma) ...ghaTa jnAna can be paroxa as well.

> In case of AtmA such GYAna is generated by mahAvAkya.
> It has nothing to do with duality.

Ok...used duality to indicate the difference between the knower (I) and
known ( ghaTa)

> I recommend serious study of vedAnta-paribhAShA under any good scholar.
>>

>> How do we understand the aparoxa of ghaTA, as there is duality between
>> the knower and known ( ghaTA) ? Pl clarify
>>

> ​This has nothing to do with total revelation, i.e. pratyaxa or aparoxa,
> of anything.
>
> To add yatsAxAdaparoxAdbrahma, this shruti doesn't say that GYAna of
> pratyagAtmA is pratyaxa. It says that brahman is svaprakAsha and
> GYAna-svarUpa because it is pratyagAtmA.

Yes

Pranams