[Advaita-l] Difficulty with Akhandakara Vrtti

श्रीमल्ललितालालितः lalitaalaalitah at lalitaalaalitah.com
Thu Jun 18 11:55:36 CDT 2015

*श्रीमल्ललितालालितः*www.lalitaalaalitah.com

On Thu, Jun 18, 2015 at 9:58 PM, Venkatraghavan S <agnimile at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I note this statement made in your earlier email in relation to the
> akhaNDAkAratva of the brahmAkAra vritti:
>
> >>akhaNDAkAra of vRtti means that it doesn't illuminate any adjective or
> relation. It just dispels ignorance of / illuminates one thing, either
> brahman or pot without revealing it's qualities and relations.
>
> In relation to the above statement you made, brahman by its nature is
> nirguNa and asaNga - therefore by that definition of akhaNDAkAra, is it
> correct to say that brahmAkAra vritti has to be akhaNDAkAra only, because
> the brahman that the brahmAkAra vritti illuminates has no guNA (adjectives)
> or saNga (relation)?

Correct. Just replace brahmAkAravRtti with brahmapramA, and everything will
be fine.
I hope you know that you were talking about vRtti revealing nature of it's
subject, and such vRtti is called pramA.
vRtti may be of two or three types - pramA, bhrama, ubhayavilaxaNa, should
be noted.
​

> I ask this because you later say that  -
> >>advaitin-s, like madhusUdana-sarasvatI, etc. maintain that the
> brahmAkAra-vRttiH should be niShprakArikA/akhaNDAkArA, if it has to be
> liberating knowledge.
>
> Therefore, is there a brahmAkAra vritti possible that is not akhaNDAkArA
> also? So brahmAkAra vritti has to be liberating knowledge.

​yes, brahman is creator, brahman is jagat, brahman has existence or
knowledge of all or Ananda, etc. are such vRtti-s. Even pot exists - is
such vRtti, because existence is brahman.​

​These all vRtti-s are apramA, though.
So, if you would have used the term pramA instead of vRtti here, then my
answer to your question would have been 'no'.​

Note that only brahmAkArAkhaNDavRtti is pramA(compared to other vRtti-s) in
our system, because it has no bAdha.

I request others, who understand these concepts and can present with
examples in lengthy posts, to write more here for benefit of others.