[Advaita-l] Difficulty with Akhandakara Vrtti

Venkatraghavan S agnimile at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 11:28:59 CDT 2015

Sri श्रीमल्ललितालालितः

Thanks for your enlightening email. It was a very helpful explanation on
some pretty subtle concepts.

Having read your emails today, I had a question which I would be grateful
if you can answer.

I note this statement made in your earlier email in relation to the
akhaNDAkAratva of the brahmAkAra vritti:

>>akhaNDAkAra of vRtti means that it doesn't illuminate any adjective or
relation. It just dispels ignorance of / illuminates one thing, either
brahman or pot without revealing it's qualities and relations.

In relation to the above statement you made, brahman by its nature is
nirguNa and asaNga - therefore by that definition of akhaNDAkAra, is it
correct to say that brahmAkAra vritti has to be akhaNDAkAra only, because
the brahman that the brahmAkAra vritti illuminates has no guNA (adjectives)
or saNga (relation)?

I ask this because you later say that  -
>>advaitin-s, like madhusUdana-sarasvatI, etc. maintain that the
brahmAkAra-vRttiH should be niShprakArikA/akhaNDAkArA, if it has to be
liberating knowledge.

Therefore, is there a brahmAkAra vritti possible that is not akhaNDAkArA
also? So brahmAkAra vritti has to be liberating knowledge.

If this question has no merit, please forgive my ignorance.

Regards,
Venkatraghavan

On Thu, Jun 18, 2015 at 5:02 PM, श्रीमल्ललितालालितः via Advaita-l <