[Advaita-l] Attributes and upadhis

Keshava PRASAD Halemane k_prasad_h at yahoo.co.in
Thu Jul 9 22:09:15 CDT 2015

namastE. praNaams to all the learned-seniors. praNaams to my dear Sri Sadananda ji.
Thank you Sri Anil Gidwani for thinking of that question.

IMHO:
That is indeed an excellent question, which when clarified will help us towards a better understanding of the issues that we are grappling with - about akhanDAkAra-vRtti / niShprakAraka-vRtti.

Thank you Sri Sada ji for the excellent answer to the question - namely, that the upAdhi can be considered as the locus of the attributes.
Of course, it would be great if you or some learned-seniors in the group can help us with exact references/citations to original texts of the SAstras wherein we can find the authentic definition/explanation/etc. But in any case, your answer seems to be intellectually appealing/convincing.
Going further into the next stage we seek an answer to the following - [in vyAvahArika] -
Q1: Can an upAdhi (say corresponding to an object ghaTa) exist independent of all the attributes ? If so, how do we That is, if-&-when all the attributes of an upAdhi are discarded, does that upAdhi remain as an attributeless-upAdhi ?  If so, how do we distinguish between one attributeless-ghaTa-upAdhi-G1 and another attributeless-ghaTa-upAdhi-G2 ?
Q2: if-&-when an object ghaTa is stripped of its upAdhi, does that object lose all its attributes as well, having lost their locus, and still remain as an upAdhi-rahita-object which is therefore devoid of all its attributes ? OR is it true that the object having lost its upAdhi, cannot exist any more ?
Thank you once again.
Keshava PRASAD HalemanemOkShakaamaarthadharmahjanmanaa jaayatE jantuḥ |  samskaaraat hi bhavEt dvijaḥ ||  vEda-paaThaat bhavEt vipra |  brahma jnaanaat hi braahmaNah ||