[Advaita-l] 'world' is not the mental creation of tiny soul !!

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 12:30:37 CDT 2014

On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 9:02 PM, kuntimaddi sadananda <
kuntimaddisada at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Shree Venkatesh Murthy - PraNAms - Sorry if my reply is confusion. My be
> this will help.
>
> The waker's mind with its suppressions and oppressions become a platform
> for the projection of the whole dream world. Hence when you say YOU -  if
> it refers to the waker's mind then the whole projection is within that
> mind. In analogy with the waking world, these impressions form maaya and
> waker's mind enlivened by the consciousness is the Iswara of the creation.Hence similar to the waking world Iswara with maaya Shakti is creating the
> dream world.

Dear Sri Sada ji,

The above highlighted part is not in accordance with the Br.up. 'There (in
the dream) are no chariots, no horses, no paths, etc.. He creates the
chariots, the horses, paths, etc.'  Shankaracharya comments that this
creation of/in the dream is by  the jiva. In the BSB 3.2.5 Shankara refutes
the position that 'the creator (of dream) is the Supreme Conscious Self
(Ishwara)'. [see p.593 bottom of the English trans. of Sw.Gambhirananda.)
Shankara cites a few upanishadic passages to show that the dream is the
creation of the individual self, jiva.  In fact even in the mandukya karika
verse 'abhAvashcha rathAdInAm....' it is the above Br.up. that is alluded
to show that the dream objects, in their entirety, are the jiva's creation.
That the dream is (also) a creation of Ishwara and therefore real, is the
theory of the non-advaitins.   In fact the dream analogy is taken up only
to show that the waking world too is the creation of the jiva alone.  That
is the central message of the entire upanishadic lore and the kArikaa-s in
particular.

> The dream world consists of many beings and non beings. The beings have
> their own BMI. Anupravesha statement applies here also. Iswara as though
> after creating the world with BMIs enters into beings as jiiva. There is
> dreamer subject I who is a tiny soul in the dream, looking at the world not
> created by that tiny BMI.

In fact it is only to remove this misconception the Upanishad is talking
about the dream creation by the jiva.

> The dream world  involves forest and tigers including the one that is
> chasing him for its meals. Now, when you shift your attention to the dream
> and say YOU are running from the tiger we are  now talking about the dream
> creation done by the gobal mind (waker's mind The wakers mind is gobal and
> dreamer mind is local. The creation is at global level and perception of
> the creation and the resulting transaction is at local BMI level. As long
> as the reference states  are clear, there should not be confusion. If one
> says there dreamer you created the tiger and make it to chase him is not
> right. Creation of the dream subject and the tiger and the forest where
> he is running is done by the global mind which is mind of the waker that is
> sleeping.
>
> But have you not said at the beginning that the dream creation is by
Ishwara and not by the jiva?  If you are equating the waker-mind (which you
call 'global mind') to Ishwara, then you are indeed accepting that one
jIva, eka jiva, is the creator of the entire dRShya prapancha of that one
jiva!!!  And the word 'jiva' in the eka-jiva prakriyA is never intended to
be a 'tiny' jiva.  This is the mistake that lies at the base of
misunderstanding and objecting to the eka-jiva prakriyA.  The jiva of the
eka-jiva is just a conscious entity, defined as the only ’sajiva jiva' and
all the other jiva-semblances this one sajiva jiva perceives/cognizes are
'nirjiva jiva-s, like dream jiva-s'.  This only conscious sajiva jiva is
admitted to be the creator/projector of even the concepts like veda,
Ishwara, etc. In other words, the world that any jiva sees, is taken
as-it-is and transferred to the eka jiva as his own creation.  If these
fundamentals of the eka-jiva prakriya are understood, there will be no
objections to it.  In fact Sri SSS is the greatest champion of this
construct as is evidenced from the various quotes provided from his work/s
by Sri Subhanu ji.

I end my contribution to this thread with this final, though repeated,
clarification.

warm regards
subbu