[Advaita-l] 'world' is not the mental creation of tiny soul !!

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 23:54:09 CDT 2014

It would be worth remembering/knowing/noting that in advaita it is wrong to
say 'Ishwara is endowed with avidya' since Ishwara is an entity admitted to
be sarvajna, sarvashakta, jagatkAraNam, etc.  But there is nothing wrong to
the siddhAnta if avidyA is admitted to Brahman which is distinct from
Ishwara/jiva.  That is what Shankara does in the Br.up.1.4.10 in two
explicit bhashya sentences.  He holds Brahman, due to avidyA, imagines
itself to be a finite jiva, etc.  And taking this to the adhyAsa bhashya,
it is this sentient entity, which can be no other than Brahman that has
imagined a body-mind, relating itself to 'others', etc. and is kartA-bhoktA
samsArin.

Thus, avidya cannot and should not be admitted to Ishwara.  Shankara
distinguishes Ishwara the jagatkAraNam from Brahman in the BSB by saying:
'This pradhAna-like shakti has to be admitted by Vedantins.  It is only by
associating with this shakti Brahman can be jagatkAraNam and without this
shakti brahman *cannot do anything*.

So, according to the shruti 'mAyAm tu prakRtim vidyAt mAyinam tu
maheshwaram', and based on this, according to Shankara, without this
shakti, Brahman is incapable of engaging in creation etc., for by
definition Brahman is niShkriya.  In BG too the Lord explicitly points to
prakRti/mAyA to be the shakti with which alone creation takes place.  He
denies kartRtvam for Himself saying 'tasya kartAram api mAm viddhi
akartAram avyayam.'

regards
subrahmanian.v