[Advaita-l] Reference to Rudra and Aditya in BGB 6.47

Jaldhar H. Vyas via Advaita-l advaita-l at lists.advaita-vedanta.org
Thu Jul 24 01:39:06 CDT 2014

On Tue, 22 Jul 2014, V Subrahmanian via Advaita-l wrote:

> Thank you Sri Sujal for the clue that I got from your reference to Swami
> Sivananda's commentary where the plural 'vināyakāḥ' is mentioned.  Upon a
> search I found that the Agnipurāṇam has this listed as some bhūta entities:
>
> ये कुष्णाण्डास्तथा यक्षा ये दैत्या ये निशाचराः ।
> प्रेता विनायकाः क्रूरा मनुष्या जम्भगाः खगाः ।। २७०.९ ।।
>
> The Srimadbhāgavatam too has a reference:

Interested readers should also see the extensive discussion we had on the
list concerning this subject a few years back starting at:

http://www.advaita-vedanta.org/archives/advaita-l/2011-July/027863.html

and

http://www.advaita-vedanta.org/archives/advaita-l/2011-July/027937.html

> 10.6.27 where the baby Krishna is 'purified' by the Gopi-s after the
> killing of Pūtana:
>
> http://prabhupadabooks.com/sb/10/6/27-29

Ugh Prabhupada was an awful translator.  Still from the shloka mentioned
we can get an idea of the classes of devayonis which are called bhutas.
In the threads mentioned above.  In the thread mentioned above I have in
one post compared the tikas on Gita 9.25 by several Advaitins each of
which gives a slightly different list.