[Advaita-l] Who Slept Very Well? - Part IV

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Mon Feb 24 03:44:55 CST 2014

2. Sushupti. According to traditional views ajnana which is the cause for
bandha is present in sushupti. But according to Sri SSS there is neither
avidya nor adhyasa  separate from the atman in sushupti.

praNAms Sri ChandramouLi prabhuji
Hare Krishna

A line of clarification here required from Sri SSS's perspective.  Though
based on shankara/shruti Sri SSS insists the ekatva in sushupti, he does
not anywhere says, "go to sushupti and get mOksha" :-)  In one of his
works he says vidyeinda mAtrave avidyA nivrutti, nidre indalla :-)) (only
vidyA can efface avidyA not from sleep )  So, though there is ekatva in
sushupti, Sri SSS admits the agrahaNAtmaka avidyA (jnAnAbhAva) for the
sushuptAtma during this ekatva.  This jnAnAbhAva is not a hindrance to the
ekatva in sushpti.  It is just like sitting on the treasure without
knowing it !!  Here we cannot argue that there is NO treasure (ekatva) at
all since we donot know it (jnAnAbhAva)!! :-))  Hence not knowing
(jnAnAbhAva) and ekatva can exist together in sushupti.  But mUlAvidyA
which Sri SSS is refuting here is not mere jnAnAbhAva it is bhAva rUpa
avidyA which is the upAdAna kAraNa to all three types of avidyA i.e.
agrahaNa, anyathAgrahaNa and saMshaya. Anyway, IMHO, it is not worth our
time to spend on this issue anymore  coz. ultimately what we get from the
discussion is only heat not light :-))

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar