[Advaita-l] On Budha....."Yogi Chakravarthi"

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Mon Feb 24 00:27:55 CST 2014

Namaskarams.  I had, in the past, written something about this shlokam that
you mentioned to me.  I am copying the related discussion on this:

http://www.advaita-vedanta.org/archives/advaita-l/2011-September/029141.html

On Tue, 20 Sep 2011, V Subrahmanian wrote:

This verse is available here:

*http://tinyurl.com/3sm4yyx

>* *The title of the work is 'dashAvatArastotram'.  The verse appears after
** KrishnAvatara and before Kalki avatAra.  The work is attributed to **
Shakaracharya. *> Note that this stotra was not included in the Vani Vilas
edition of the complete works of Shankaracharya.  I doubt if it is
genuine.  Even when Gaudapadacharya gives (albeit backhanded) praise to the
Buddha in the Mandukya karikas, Shankaracharya does not follow suit and I'm
not aware of any other place where he speaks of the Buddha in a positive
way or even at all.  (Most of his engagement with Buddhists is with much
later philosophers.) Neither as far as I know has this stotra been
commented on by later Advaitins such as Anandagiri or Svayamprakasha.
While not a clincher this would be very unlikely if this was an original
work of Shankaracharya. Radhakrishnan had some scholarly credentials but he
was first and foremost a politician and this wouldn't be the first time he
distorted the truth to fit his personal agenda. -- Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar
at braincells.com<http://lists.advaita-vedanta.org/cgi-bin/listinfo/advaita-l>______________________________________________________________________________________________
With reference to the above topic regarding Shankara's praise for Buddha in
"Dashavatarastotram",there cannot be a greater blasphemy than this.As is
well known from the Brahmasutrabhashya,his discussions regarding Buddhistic
"purva paksha"in Brahma sutra in "Abhavadhikarana",in the sutras "Naabhavah
upalabdeh",Na bhavo anupalabdeh","vaidharmyacca na svapnadivat"and
examination of Buddhism in "Brahadaranyaka Upanishad Bhashya"and in other
bhashyas of Upanishads, and the consequent observations of Shankara that if
these diverse views of Buddha stated by different branches of Buddhism
like,"sarvastivada"Vaibhasikas and srautrantikas,and the sunya vadins,one
cannot but come to the conclusion that the Buddha taught these
contradictory views out of enemity to the People(prajapadveshi).Hence the
seekers  who are on the path of "goodness"(shreyaskamah)must  ignore this
to a greater extent.(BSB).

Here is the complete shloka:

>* Dr.S.Radhakrishnan in his Brahmasutra quotes this as of Sankara.*

> धराबद्धपद्मासनस्थाङ्घ्रियष्टिः
> नियम्यानिलं न्यस्तनासाग्रदृष्टिः
> य आस्ते कले योगिनां चक्रवर्ती
> स बुद्ध: प्रबुद्धोऽस्तु मच्चित्तवर्ती।।>

Traditionally this work is not admitted to be of Shankaracharya.

regards
subrahmanian.v.