[Advaita-l] vajrOli yOga & shankara bhagavatpAda

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 7 06:25:42 CST 2014

Namaste
On Fri, Feb 7, 2014 at 2:26 PM, Bhaskar YR <bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com> wrote:

> praNAms
> Hare Krishna
>
> >  Yes, this is what we can read in mAdhaveeya also.  If through vajrOli
> yOga there is no avakeerNatva dOsha, then why shankara has opted for
> another body??  that too body of the king who has more than 100 wives!!??
> Since there is no yati dharma bhanga here, since there is no retaHskhalana
> & is always Urdhva retasa, he could have experienced the kAma shAstra
> through his body only where was the need of 'parakAya' pravesha...If the
> yati has an absolute disassociation with his 'sva-kAya' what was need for
> 'para-kAya' pravesha??  And another question that arises here is, if one
> avoid retaH skhalana and continue 'stree-saMbhOga' can we call him
> brahmachAri / saMnyAsi??

Adi Sankara has answered this in the Sankara Dig Vijaya. Yes there was no
need for Parakaya Pravesha because he could not have lost his Brahmacharya
in his own body by learning Kama Shastra, But he did Parakaya Pravesha for
not misleading others in the world. *yad yad acarati* sresthas tat tad
evetaro janah sa yat pramanam kurute lokas tad anuvartate. If he used his
own body other people will try to follow him and it will be a disaster for
them. To avoid that he entered into another body and got knowledge of Kama
Shastra.

Your other question is already answered in Sankara Dig Vijaya.  If there is
no Retas Skhalana there is no loss of Brahmancharya. Only Yogis can do it.
Ordinary people cannot.

> >  If I remember right shankara in one of his justifications for parakAya
> pravesha, says he is saMkalpa rahita, since saMkalpa is the cause for
> kAma, no question of kAma vAsana in him.  But here also question remain
> unanswered is without any saMkalpa, how shankara did the saMkalpa of doing
> 'para-kaya' pravesha ??  how he lost himself in king's body by abundantly
> enjoying the kAma- bhOga ??  Dont you think these are all shankara's
> sva-varNAshrama anuchita karma??

He wanted to answer certain questions in Kama Shastra. That is the reason.
Sankara Dig Vijaya has answered this. There is one episode mentioned about
Matsyendranath. He also left his own body and entered a King's body. He was
enjoying with his wives. But his disciple Gorakhnath came before him and
reminded him he was Yogi. Then Matsyendranath understood he was
unnecessarily staying in King's body. He left it and joined his own body.
This story is told by Padmapada to Adi Sankara to caution him but Adi
Sankara said don't worry same thing will not happen to me. Adi Sankara took
a very calculated step. He did not make any mistake.

> Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
> bhaskar
>
> PS :  If the topics like above is outside the scope of this forum, I
> request the moderators to delete this message from the list of posting.  A
> word of advice is also requested from them.

Regards

-Venkatesh