[Advaita-l] Gayatri [was Re: Advaita-l Digest, Vol 110, Issue 7]

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Thu Oct 3 00:22:09 CDT 2013

On Mon, 9 Sep 2013, ramesh badisa wrote:

> Namaskaram,
>
> I have one question lingering in my mind for a while, and would like to
> know your responses.  While reciting Gayatri mantra, it is always good
> that the mind be focused on the meaning of the mantra. This is known to
> all. However, instead on the 'meaning', can one focus on any Saguna
> Brahman form. Is there anything wrong in doing this? If not, can it give
> the same results. What would be the final result of this?

What is popularly know as Gayatri is Savitri, praise to Brahman in the
form of Surya the "nourisher" (savitr) of life.  In my opinion if one is
to meditate on a saguna form, that should be the one.  It is not so much
that other forms are "wrong" but this one is "more right."  If one wanted
to meditate on some other form, why not use their own Gayatri?  Every
deity has one.