[Advaita-l] Seeking clarification on Rigveda recitation

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 28 22:56:04 CST 2013

Namaste
Some people say we should say the Veda Mantras without Kampana. I heard
some people are saying Mantras with trembling voice. The shaking voice is
Kampana. It is a Dosha to be avoided by Vaidikas. Many people in South
India are saying Yajur Veda and others with a shaking voice. It is pleasing
to hear but it is a defect. In music concert the musician sometimes will
sing with shaking voice. It gives a nice effect and enjoyment to listeners.
But in Veda it is not allowed. Some very old Vaidikas will have a trembling
voice in saying Mantras.

Kampanam Naama Svaraashrita Paathadoshaha Praayena Daakshinatyaanaam
Bhavati. Tam Upalakshya Sa Varjyaha.

Trans - The Kampana is a Defect in recitation of Svaras. Mostly it is
present in South Indians. They must observe it and avoid it.

Trembling voice is caused by shaking vocal cords.

http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/otolaryngology/specialty_areas/voice_center/conditions/vocal_tremor.html

'Vocal tremor is caused by trembling or shaking vocal cords. Most vocal
tremor may be a component of neurologic essential tremor, though other
neurologic disease can also cause tremor.

Generally seen in an aging population, voice tremor causes the voice to
take on a wavering, unsteady quality.'

--
Regards

-Venkatesh