[Advaita-l] Seeking clarification on Rigveda recitation

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Thu Nov 28 02:45:20 CST 2013

praNAms Sri Ananda Hudli prabhuji
Hare Krishna

Thanks a lot for your kind clarification. If your time permits some time
kindly provide me the rule in detail or kindly let me know where can I
find these rules in printed versions.

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar

From:   Anand Hudli <anandhudli at hotmail.com>
To:     advaita-l at lists.advaita-vedanta.org,
Cc:     Bhaskar YR/BAN/INABB/ABB at ABB
Date:   11/28/2013 08:46 AM
Subject:        Seeking clarification on Rigveda recitation
Sent by:        ahudli at gmail.com

Bhaskar YR wrote:
>01.  vAya ukthebhirjarante tvAmachhA jaritAraH - (ashtaka -1, adhyAya-1,
>sUkta-2, varga-3) here 'bhir' in ukthebhiH should have deergha svarita or

svarita??
>02.  nAsatya vruktabarhishaH - (ashtaka-1, adhyAya-1, sUkta-3, varga-5)
>here also same doubt whether barhishaH should have deergha svarita or
>svarita??

Here, the svara should be svarita rather than dIrghasvarita. However, in
the Vishnu sUkta of the second adhyAya,the svara should be dIrghasvarita
at the end of viShNur (ato devA avantu no yato viShNurvichakrame). Again,
in sUkta 26, varga 20, the svara on the "a" in aryamA (varuNo mitro
aryamA) should be dIrghasvarita. Note that in these two cases, the svara
occurs before semivowels, but not in the cases that you cited. I vaguely
remember a rule regarding this but I cannot find it with the limited
access I have currently to my texts.

Anand