[Advaita-l] Reply to Sri Vidyamanya Tirtha's observations

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Thu Nov 28 01:59:54 CST 2013

The Vidhis and Nishedhas are for the body but not for Atma. The Atma
cannot
have any rules and regulations. When Adi Sankara was in Sannyasi body he
was following Sannyasi rules and regulations. When he entered King
Amaraka's body in Para Kaya Pravesha he was following the Khastriya rules
and regulations and enjoying with his wives and learning Kama Sastra.
There
is no Papa and no Prayascitta required for this.

praNAms Sri Venkatesh Murthy prabhuji
Hare Krishna

I dont know what to say to the arguments like this!!  Infact this is what
we have find as one of the justifications from bhagavatpAda when padmapAda
asked the question on yati dharma before parakAya pravesha.  One point we
are forgetting here is, in vyavahAra, we have the entity called jeeva
which is not paramAtma and which would take many janma-s, it is this jeeva
(parichinna chaitanya) that would suffer from the karma phala.  And
according to this karma phala only he would get the body.  So, vidhi
nishedha applicable to this jeeva who is entangled in the body.  If the
pApa & puNya is for the body only, then a particular body has to suffer /
enjoy the karma phala in that body only there will be no question of
janmAntara  / lOkAntara karma phala.  It would be better to be noted that
body is an inert (jada) thing it cannot do anything on its own.  Body
needs internal karaNa-s and driving force i.e. called jeeva in vyavahAra.
So, though kAya is para the 'karta' is same, in the above episode also,
though the body is of the  kshatriya's, the karta in that kshatriya body
in 'yati' and it is that 'yati' who enjoyed that rAja bhOga with stree-s
in kshatriya's body.  So, in the SAME janma a yati should not do the
nishedha karma in another body by using his yOgic power.

Anyway, I donot want to continue this discussion on shankara's parakAya
pravesha as described in mAdhaveeya & chidvilAseeya etc. My point in short
is that katrutva, bhOktrutva belongs to jeeva which is sentient and we
should not attribute it to mere body to take excuses from the nishedha
karma.

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar