[Advaita-l] Reply to Sri Vidyamanya Tirtha's observations

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 28 00:36:23 CST 2013

Namaste

The Vidhis and Nishedhas are for the body but not for Atma. The Atma cannot
have any rules and regulations. When Adi Sankara was in Sannyasi body he
was following Sannyasi rules and regulations. When he entered King
Amaraka's body in Para Kaya Pravesha he was following the Khastriya rules
and regulations and enjoying with his wives and learning Kama Sastra. There
is no Papa and no Prayascitta required for this.

Similarly one person can Sanyasi now and in next Janma he can be a
householder.

On Thu, Nov 28, 2013 at 11:17 AM, V Subrahmanian
<v.subrahmanian at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 28, 2013 at 10:45 AM, Bhaskar YR <bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Dear Sri Bhaskarji,
> >
> > >  praNAms Sri Chandramouli prabhuji
> > Hare Krishna
> >
> > frstly a sadhka who has gone through the sadhana almost to completuion
> but
> > does not get jnana due to pratibandhakas he is not considered a patita.
> He
> > continues from this level in his future births and when the pratibandhaka
> > is overcome he automatically gets jnana. This is what is stated by Lord
> > Krishna in the Geetha as well as mentioned by Bhagavatpada in Sutra
> > Bhashya.
> >
> > >  prabhuji Kindly noted I am not talking about the sAdhaka-s who could
> > not get jnAna due to pratibandhaka-s and those sAdhaka-s conducive
> > subsequent janma-s.  I am talking about the sAdhaka-s who were in saNyAsa
> > Ashrama as saNyAsi-s in their previous janma and gruhastha-s in
> > gruhasthAshrama in current janma..For this type of descending order of
> > Ashrama there is no any prayaschitta !!
>

> Dear Bhaskar ji,
>
> While I am not in disagreement with what you have said in this post,
> regarding a jIva having been a sannyAsin in an earlier birth and a gRhastha
> in a later birth, there is no shAstra-ullanghana involved.  *These happen
> to different bodies, different janma-s, and not in the same body/janma of
> the same jIva. * There is no guarantee as to what will be one's janma after
> a particular janma.  It is the set of karmas that are ready to bear fruit
> that will decide the subsequent janma.  *The shAstra niShiddha of not
> coming to a lower ashrama from a higher one is for the same body/janma.*
> The shastra cannot also make a prohibition of this kind since it would be
> impossible for anyone to check/verify what Ashrama-s one has been in in the
> previous births.
>
> What is implied, however, in the inference that 'one has been a sannyasin
> in an earlier birth' is that that samskAra required / conducive for
> jnAotpatti is there in that person owing to such sannyAsa, albeit in an
> earlier birth.  For, the rule: na hi kalyAnakRti kashchit durgatim tAta
> gacchati' is inviolable.
>
> regards
> subrahmanian.v

Regards