[Advaita-l] Seeking clarification on Rigveda recitation

Balasubramanian Ramakrishnan rama.balasubramanian at gmail.com
Tue Nov 26 10:40:55 CST 2013

If a svarita ocurs before a pure repha, then the repha is pronounced with
what is termed as ardha-svarita accent in some rg-vedic traditions. It's
neither a dirgha svarita nor the usual svarita.  The repha is kind of
replicated, but the svarita is not completely transferred to it, unlike for
example in the previous verse araN~!!kR^itAH. What I mean is, although the
svarita is supposed to be on the rakAra in araN~kR^itAH, the svarita is
transferred to the following anunAsika and the svarita also becomes dIrgha.
Here the rakara itself is pronounced udaatta samam. In the case you ask,
the bhi retains the svarita, but the repha is kind of replicated in a
svarita tone (same as the bhi), hard to explain, but easy to say.

This is quite different from both pANini as well as the taittiriiya
prAtishakhya, where it is explicitly mentioned that repha is *not* to be
duplicated.

There are variations on this between different rg vedic traditions.

Rama