[Advaita-l] In defense of Advaita and Vivarta-Vada

balagopal ramakrishnan rbalpal at yahoo.co.in
Tue Nov 26 00:30:57 CST 2013

The 4 Varnas are the broad classification of human activities. This is valid even today in any part of the world.The  varna vibhagha is done in three ways-
'jati' - by parentage,
'guna' - by aptitude & talent
'karma' - by one's current occupation.

Much blood flowed in the 'jati' concept - both good & bad. IMHO one can call a person with a particular 'varna' when he is PURSUING  his abilities, aptitude, attitude, inclination , liking and learning. Only this way the person will be truly productive - both for himself and the society at large. I am sure this is easily said than done; since if we look at the multitude benefits of preserving the 'jati' concept, I suspect, we have lost more than we gained.

Regards

Balagopal