[Advaita-l] Reply to Sri Vidyamanya Tirtha's observations

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 14 05:34:17 CST 2013

Namaste
On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 6:26 PM, Sujal Upadhyay <sujal.u at gmail.com> wrote:

> Namaste,
>

> Sri Ramakrishna says, 'Initially, a nAvika has to do much effort and fight
> against the wind. But after nAvika, aligns the cloth (ShaDa) of his sail
> boat with wind he will sit down, relax and smoke hukka :)
>
> It is said that initially, the path is like poison, but later practise
> becomes nectar.
>
> Atma Jnana is more than simply relaxing and smoking Hukka. Who is this
'I'? If I am thinking I am very happy by doing nothing but sitting and
meditating on OM there is no Atma Jnana because I still think I am the
meditating person. I am not realizing I am more than the meditating person.

If I do Nitya Karma like Sandhyavandana and Yajnas I will get a feeling
some time I am doing my duty and I am not attached to the Karma fruits. I
will realize I am more than the Karma doer and not restricted to the Karma.
But we should not stop doing the Karma by feeling over confident. We have
to keep on doing it till Atma Jnana comes on its own. Atma Jnana will come.

> OM
>
> Sujal
>
> "To disconnect from the self and to become Aware of anything else is
> nothing but unhappiness" - Bhagawan Ramana Maharshi
>
> He who has faith has all
> He who lacks faith, lacks all
> It is the faith int he name of lord that works wonders
> FAITH IS LIFE, DOUBT IS DEATH - Sri Ramakrishna
>

> On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 5:52 PM, Venkatesh Murthy <vmurthy36 at gmail.com
> >wrote:
>
> > Kindly see the Sankara Bhashya for Br Up 4-4-22 - Tametam
> >  Vedanuvacanena Brahmana Vividishanti Yajnena Danena Tapasa Anashakena.
> Adi
> > Sankara is saying Dravya Yajnaa Jnaana Yajnaasca Samskrutaarthaaha,
> > Samskrutasya Vishuddha Sattvasya Jnaanotpattir Apratibandhena
> Bhavishyati.
> > The Jnana will come automatically when the Mind is purified by Yajnas. He
> > does not have to do anything more.
> >
> > After some more sentences he is saying again Evam Kaamyavarjitam Nityam
> > Karmajaatam Sarvam Atma Jnaanotpattidvaarena Moksha Saadhanatvam
> > Pratipadyate. All the Nitya Karma is a Moksha Saadhana by giving Atma
> > Jnaana. He is not saying you have to first do Nitya Karma then take
> > Sannyasa. Then you get Atma Jnaana. Then Moksha. No. The Karma will
> > directly give Atma Jnaana. How? Because it will remove the Obstacle for
> > Jnana. The Removing of Obstacles is done by Action only. Upanishad Vakyas
> > only will give Paroksha Jnana if the Obstacle is still there. But Karma
> > will give the Aparoksha Jnana by removing the obstacle.
> >
> > For thousands of years people have not understood this Adi Sankara's
> > importance to Karma and they are arguing he was against rituals.
> >
> > I think Adi Sankara has agreed with Mandana Mishra here. Both are saying
> > same thing.

> > For assistance, contact:
> > listmaster at advaita-vedanta.org

Regards