[Advaita-l] Newbie to advaita

Praveen R. Bhat bhatpraveen at gmail.com
Tue Nov 12 23:45:02 CST 2013

Hari Om, Pradeep ji,

Its good to know that more people are beginning on their spiritual journey
of Advaita Vedanta. I can speak from experience that targeting to cover a
lot of ground (books, etc) all at once is not the best way. A little, yet
repetitive, reading or shravaNa (hearing from the Guru) and a lot of manana
(thinking on the subject matter) goes a long way and deeper. Consistency in
following is more important than quantity of material covered. Of course, I
have not been consistent since I am lazy. I hope you can learn from my
mistakes. Apologies, I couldn't help but give unsolicited advice. :)

That said, there is no better place to start in Advaita Vedanta than
Tattvabodha. I prefer Ramakrishna Mission or Sringeri publications when
looking for English translations. You will finally pick as per your own
taste. http://www.celextel.org/ has a good collection of traditional
translations of many works if you prefer to start off online. Best wishes
on your journey, may IshvarAnugraha be with you.

gurupAdukArpaNamastu,
--Praveen R. Bhat
[Br.Up. 4.5.15] */