[Advaita-l] Adi Shankara's Amarushataka

Sunil Bhattacharjya sunil_bhattacharjya at yahoo.com
Tue May 21 23:33:33 CDT 2013

<<An enterprising interpreter can find all kinds of meanings in things but I
am rather dubious about any "Advaitic message" in the Amarushataka.  Have
you read it?>>

I have read only a few verses here and there. I would like to read all the verses and more importantly the commentaries on it but I am not sure how to get hold of at least one of the commentaries.  It could be that intially the Shataka highlights the romantic dreamy aspects and then gradually leads the reader to the sorrowful aspects when the romance ends and it dawns on the romantic pair that all these carnal pleasures are temporary and thus prepares them for the spiritual journey. May be we have among us scholars, who have looked for the spiritual message in that.

Sunil KB