[Advaita-l] Pramana for adhyaropa apavada

Ramesh Krishnamurthy rkmurthy at gmail.com
Tue May 14 00:27:47 CDT 2013

On 14 May 2013 03:23, Rajaram Venkataramani <rajaramvenk at gmail.com> wrote:

> <<Please allow me to start with the definition of Sakshi, Isvara and Jiva
> as per the five major theories within advaita fold is given below as per my
> understanding based on what I learnt from scholars in advaita.>>

I am familiar with all these vAda-s. They are orthogonal to the point being
made by Sri Subrahmanian. Please look at the issue from first principles
and everything will be clear.

Whichever vAda one uses, the basic point is that the Atman is never
dR^ishya/bhogya, and that jIvahood (the notion of a distinct jIva) is
derived from a mithyA upAdhi. To the extent a jIva is considered
dR^ishya/bhogya, the dR^ishyatvam/bhogyatvam comes from the upAdhi and not
the Atman.

Also, anything dR^ishya/bhogya is mithyA.