[Advaita-l] Naivedya question

Venkata sriram P venkatasriramp at yahoo.in
Thu Mar 28 01:40:03 CDT 2013

Namaste,

We have to follow our own kulAchAra that has been handed down by our elders at home.

Prof. SK Ramachander Rao wrote a beautiful book *sAlagrAma kOsha* which is available. It details out different types of sAlagrAmAs and the puja paddhati.

Strictly speaking, what we eat everyday have to be offered before the Lord and only then it becomes the prasAda.  Consumption of such bhagavat prasAda gives chitta shuddhi.

Just ponder and think that the poor sAlagrAma is having a couple of coconuts everyday and you are having a sumptual meal with rice, dal etc. If you too are subsisting on those couple of coconuts, then there is nothing wrong in offering the same to Lord.

It is just a matter of bhAvukata which is most important and my guruji used to stress on this sensitivity (bhAvukata) only.

We enjoy all the good food in life whereas the poor panchAyAtana is fed with couple of bananas and coconuts.  There is bhagavat-sAnnidhya in the panchAyAtana.  Utmost care is ensured in worshipping them.

regs,
sriram