[Advaita-l] Eternal Loka

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Wed Jul 31 13:36:35 CDT 2013

On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 11:43 PM, <rajaramvenk at gmail.com> wrote:

> Namaskaram. For my work on bhakti in advaita, I asked a simple question
> "Is there an eternal loka in vyavahara as per advaita?" I know from textual
> sources that there is and vaikuntha (brahmaloka) is non-different from
> Vishnu (Ishwara). I just wanted to confirm from scholars. The simple answer
> is yes.
>
> If someone asks what is time, we tell them that. It is intellectual
> bullying to say that time doesn't exist :)

It is only when the intellect is working there can be any thought or talk
of time.  The advaitic idea of time is: avidyA-chit samyogaH kAlaH.  'Time
is the conjunction/admixture of avidyA and Pure Consciousness.'  So, only
when this impossible conjunction 'happens' does the occasion for time
arises.  So, there is nothing wrong in having that time does not exist, in
a scenario where Consciousness alone exists.  This is the Advaita
pAramArthika tattvam.  A brahma loka or vaikunTha where duality exists is
not the Advaitic ultimate.

vs