[Advaita-l] Eternal Loka

Rajaram Venkataramani rajaramvenk at gmail.com
Wed Jul 24 13:42:07 CDT 2013

Hare Krishna. On 21-July, I posted  smrti reference and Sridhara's
commentary for eternal vaikuntha and reposting it beloww. I did not
continue with other references because there was no interest to discuss
further based on references to sastras and the works of acharyas. Even you
have not referred to any work of an advaita purvacharya to justify your
position.

*1. smrti and bhashya evidence that vaikuntha is eternal:*
grīvāyāḿ janaloko 'sya tapolokaḥ stana-dvayāt mūrdhabhiḥ satyalokas tu
brahmalokaḥ *sanātanah* (SBh 2.5.39) Sridhara comments for this verse that
Vaikuntha is eternal. Kadalangudi Natesa Sastrigal, who belongs to advaita
sampradaya, also translates it into Tamil as nityamana vaikuntamum (eternal
vaikunta). Brahmaloka means Vaikunta. It is eternal. It is not grouped with
the material world which has a creation.
*2. smrti evidence that there is no fear in vaikuntha:*
ātapatraḿ tu vaikuṇṭhaḿ dvijā *dhāmākuto-bhayam *tri-vṛd vedaḥ
suparṇākhyo (SBh 12.11.19). In "mutthi neri", Sringeri Periyva talks about
fear due to duality in the world of gods. Such fear is denied in Vaikuntha,
the world of Vishnu.
If you say that this Vaikuntha is non-different from Vishnu or Ishwara, who
is all pervading, I have no difference of opinion with you. In fact, there
are clear references to that effect in the sastras. If you say that are no
eternal entities (parinama nitya) in vyavahara realm as per advaita, I will
question that. Lord Krishna's body, unlike ours which is dependent on karma
to become manifest, is eternal. He explains dharma to Vivasvan and Arjuna
in the same body (rf. Madhusudana). Ishwara is eternal. Maya is
eternal. Sanatana Dharma is eternal. It will be an oxymoron to consider
sanatana dharma to be non-eternal. As Sabara Swamin clarifies adrsta is
known only through sabda, which is eternal. Sabda has eternal connection
with artha. Artha has real object as its support (arthalambana Sa.Bh.
1.1.5). Hence all that is described in the Vedas are eternal. Logically
also, all names and forms  - leave alone Vaikuntha - are eternal as
Ishwara's jnana.