[Advaita-l] aruNa prashna & upanishad chanting in evening

Krunal Makwana makwanakb at googlemail.com
Thu Jan 24 05:44:00 CST 2013

Jai Sri Krsna

On 24 January 2013 09:56, Bhaskar YR <bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com> wrote:

Is there any prohibition to chant aruNa prashna, AraNyaka maNtra-s
> & upanishds like mahAnArAyaNa during evening/night times?? pls. clarify.

To my knowledge shruti vAkya cannot be recited after sunset, this is the
tradition of Sandipani Vidyaniketan in Gujarata, where sAyaMa sandhyA
upAsana is the final vedokta upasanA that is done.

However saying this once whilst I was in vraj, I saw students studying Veda
in the evening after sunset.

My conclusion: Veda cannot be recited after sunset but abhyAsa is
permissable.

sa prem

Krunal