[Advaita-l] Priority of Pramana based on Knowledge Domain

Ramesh Krishnamurthy rkmurthy at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 06:11:48 CDT 2012

On 14 September 2012 03:30, Rajaram Venkataramani <rajaramvenk at gmail.com> wrote:
> I would like to know if there are specific rules of interpretation the give
> higher authority to one pramana over the other based on domain of
> knowledge.

The rule simply is that the veda is a pramANa only on matters that are
outside the domain of laukika pramANa-s. The development of
pramANa-shAstra is part of the mImAMsA systems. The advaitin-s largely
follow the bhATTa mimAMsaka-s in this matter, as per the maxim
"vyavahAre bhATTa nayaH". sureshvarAchArya in his naiShkarmyasiddhi
describes the criteria for accepting something as a pramANa. I had
described these criteria in detail in an earlier post on this forum
not too long ago.

By the way, your stand that the veda teaches "creation" is something
that would be rejected by the very school that made it its business to
understand the veda - the pUrvamImAMsaka-s.