[Advaita-l] Ramana's method

Sunil Bhattacharjya sunil_bhattacharjya at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 10 14:10:07 CDT 2012

Namaste,

About one thousand years after Sakyamuni Buddha, there was Buddhahosha, who is considered the second Buddha by many. In fact most of the Sri Lankna think of Buddhaghosha as the only Budddha because according to them Buddha visited Sri Lanka twice and it was Buddhaghosha, who visited Sri Lanka twice, whereas the Sakyamuni Buddha never visited Sri Lanka. Buddhaghosha wrote extensively on the Hinayana Buddhism, i.e,. the early teachings of Sakyamnui Buddha. Buddhaghosha, at the end of his study of Buddhism (the Hinayana Buddhism) expressed the hope that he will have to take another birth to have Maitreya Buddha (the theosophists think of Adi Sankara as the Maitreya Buddha) as his guru in order to attain Liberation.

What I mean to say that Buddhist scholars  like Buddhaghosha probably knew that Lord Buddha's Hinayana teachings were not for the ultimate liberation but to prepare them for a later birth to attain the liberation through advanced teachings.

Regards,
Sunil KB