[Advaita-l] Ramana's method

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 10 13:46:08 CDT 2012

> Thanks for all the insights. It will take some time to study them carefully, but in the meantime I have a doubt related to this. This has been gnawing at me for a long time.
>
> In dualistic traditions, god vision is the objective, and even in Buddhism the seeker looks out for jhanas and such experiences. So my question is, Must something extraordinary happen in an advaitin's life to confirm that his advaitic realization is genuine, perhaps the advaitin equivalent of a jhana? If an advaitin has no such experience all his life (only theoretical understanding), does that mean his knowledge will not liberate him at death, and that he will have to take birth again?

The jhanas that some Buddhist traditions talk about are comparable to siddhis attained by
yogis and tAntrikas through various sAdhana-s. Even the most fantastic of these siddhis that
are described in the corresponding literature is not considered moksha in advaita vedAnta.

There is a reason why it is called prAptasya prApti in advaita. It is an experience that is not
really an experience in space and time. The only experience that needs to happen is one
where there is no more separate experiencer and there is no object that is to be experienced
either. Pretty extraordinary, wouldn't you say?!

Regards,
Vidyasankar

ps. By all means, read books on your own, but do not enter into vedAnta sAdhana without
the guidance of a guru. Take your time accepting someone as your personal guru.